Why I Choose Books Over Conversations: The Rise of Stupidity

I am at that period of my life where I favor reading my books over putting myself through most conversations or social media posts. The latter disappoint me for the most part; frustrate or, quite plainly speaking, exhaust me. Barely do people engage in meaningful, substantial dialogue anymore. Of course, I am not expecting metaphysics debates with every person that I get to meet, but at least some sort of intellectual engagement, even way below the formal debate level, will be appreciated. Living in a world full of distractions and shallow conversations, I have realized books give that reflection, well-researched ideas, and intellectual robustness which most conversations and social media posts lack. Sometimes, I wish I was in a monastery reading books J 

1. People No Longer Read

Not many people read anymore. The best they do is read through flashes on social media, quick headings, or clickbait articles. Those few instances do not allow for well-rounded and articulate view about the world. They'd rather get the satisfaction of scrolling through a feed instead of just sitting down and reading a well-researched book.

It is so obvious how few have taken the time to actually read or understand any meaningful literature or material; many people’s thoughts are shallow, and often their information is just token pieces from anywhere they may have crossed ways. This in turn makes interactions on ideas superficial. I want to have conversations where the arguments have been considered, where the time was taken to read, ruminate, and develop thoughts based on study and considered thought. Unfortunately, this appears to be a rare occurrence.

2. Knowledge Based on Gossip

One of the most annoying aspects about discussions is that people base many of their opinions on rumor. They pick up tidbits of information-much more often than not from sources that are doubtful in reliability-and take it as gospel. That's hazardous, not just for the simple reason that it's creating opinions of the lowest quality, but also because it just perpetuates further and further ignorance. People hear something, repeat it without questioning it, and then just pass it onto other people. But it's like one big game of telephone, where every time the message is told, it's murky.

It's not a personal peeve; it's a social one. If ever there was a time for miscommunication and fabricated news, one would think necessary and important to be critical about the information one uses. Instead, people seem quite content to be building their knowledge base on rumors and unverified claims. Discussion with these type of people is always tiresome and an exercise in futility. People cling onto what they have heard-even if that is wrong-because it is easier than the 'I don't know'.

3. The Need to Appear Smart

Another disquieting dimension of my discussions has been an uninhibited struggle for supremacy of the intellect. To 'belittle others' has been the goal. It is as if they believe that somehow, by making someone else look stupid, they will appear intelligent. Nothing could be more poisonous. The conversation becomes a place of ego combat.

4. Excuses to Avoid Depth

People's usual excuse when confronted with the possibility of a really meaningful conversation is that they don’t want to “waste” their time. They may feign interest, but they are really afraid that it will require mental effort. They don't want to be challenged. Afraid of being found out-of being caught in a lack of comprehension or inability to think seriously. Intellectual stagnation results from an absolute inability to commit to complex ideas. I think that people would rather stay in their comfort zones, rather than venture onto an intellectual ground.

Steering Clear

It’s understandable to not want to waste my time arguing with people who understand little of the world or with uninformed or misinformed people. Add to that people who don’t want to correct their lack of understanding and misinformation. I have been through that one time too many times. And, it’s been really frustrating.

This is why I have chosen to bury myself in my books. They are my respite from most conversations' ignorance and intellectual laziness. They allow me to engage with ideas that are well-researched, thoughtful, challenging. They offer me a chance to learn, grow, reflect, and ponder at my own pace.

Books are deeply carved, nuanced, well thought out, and full of analytic reasoning. Most of the books I read are deeply complex, intellectually rigorous. They place a high threshold on critical thinking, deep reflection, and expansion. Unlike conversations, books don't waste my time with half-baked ideas or hearsay. Sometimes, this means I go back and reread a book simply to grasp its depth. These books take time and attention, but the payoffs are worth it-they contain the intellectual stimulation that I want but rarely can get in a conversation. It allows me to enter the minds of the great past and present without all the trappings and superficiality that comes with most human interaction.

Through time, I have learned to converse better with books than with people around me. First, it is in books that I found myself being allowed to make conversational points respected, expanded, and elaborated upon.

Books are the means of learning in my own time, to weigh ideas without the intrusion of ego or ignorance. They provide intellectual company that is rarely found in most conversations. When I read, it is as if I am hearing voices of thoughtful, intelligent people who took the time to think out their ideas with great care.

I wish I had more intellectuals to listen to, both in real life and online. I am hungry to listen to intellectual, well-researched opinions. Of course, intellectually stimulating conversation is possible; it's just that this too often gets drowned out by something vapid and superficial.

Comments